Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Food for Thought

When I had to fast recently in preparation for a routine colonoscopy, I became uncomfortably aware of what it feels like to be hungry.  We all get hungry between meals, but I'll wager very few of us know what true physical hunger is.  As I prepared for my 36-hour liquid diet, I was thankful that although I could not eat solid food, at least I could enjoy some of my favorite beverages and the comfort of hot soup broth and jello.

When my cupboard is bare or money is too tight to swing through my favorite burger drive-in, I am prone to whine about having to settle for a peanut butter and jelly or bologna sandwich.  Yet there are countless people around the world and in our own cities who would consider such simple fare a feast.  Hunger is a way of life and the cause of death for so many.  How dare we complain about having to miss a meal or eat something other than what we crave? 

A simple glance in the mirror would reveal that most of us are adequately nourished and some of us could even benefit by eating less, or at least eating less often.  What kind of impact could we have on the battle against world hunger if we opted for peanut butter and jelly instead of a five dollar value meal at the burger restaurant and then donated the money to the local food bank or other charitable organization?  Jesus said, "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me" (Matthew 25:40, KJV). 

Next time you sit down to eat, offer God a prayer of heartfelt thanksgiving for the food you are privileged to enjoy and ask how he might use you to feed his sheep.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment